Wednesday, September 19, 2012

2012 Small Press Expo (SPX) - Final Thoughts


I didn't set a budget for myself this year. I spent $100 (which includes $15 for a 2-day pass) and came home with several books. I was tempted but did not buy any sketches this year.


The variety of books and other products available at SPX continues to intrigue me. I love being surprised and there were plenty of them at this year's show. I'm always anxious that all I am going to see at SPX is the same people, selling the same things, giving me the same sales pitch as the year before. There was a little of that but there were also enough new things to excite me.


I made it to 5 panels and I could have gone to more. I recorded all 5 panels on my iPhone and am planning to post the audio here, probably next week. Two of them were a lot of fun. The others were informative but a little more low key. I didn't go to any of the artist spotlight-type panels. Instead I opted for the subject-oriented, discussion-type panels. Overall I was very impressed by the slate of programming for this year's show. Every time I chose one panel over another I was a little sad that I was missing out on the panel I didn't attend.

I bought three books that I came to the show with the intention of perusing and/or buying: Maggie the Mechanic by Jamie Hernandez, District Comics, and Wizzywig by Ed Piskor. Everything else  I bought was new to me.


I didn't see everyone that I thought I would see. I walked around a lot but I didn't hang out in the evenings. Maybe if I had I would have seen more faces that I recognize.

I love that this show is in my backyard.


I continue to be annoyed that SPX and Baltimore Comic Con are so close together on the calendar. I just don't get it. For the third year in a row I went to both and I probably will again next year. If I ever choose to go to just one (and not the other) then SPX will be the one (and not the other).


There's another local convention this coming weekend but I am all conned out for the present. I don't have any plans to go to any conventions for at least 6 months. I've got a ton of books to keep me busy reading until next Spring.


No comments: