Thursday, June 9, 2011

Heroes Con 2011 - Part 1

Jun 3, 4, 5
Charlotte, NC

Day 1
So much too much... This is my first Heroes Con. I had heard the hype I just didn't anticipate that the show would live up to the hype to such a great degree. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it all, I just didn't anticipate how overwhelming it would be. I certainly felt the urge to try to do as much as possible.

My favorite part of shows is discovering artists that I hadn't heard of before. As much as I would like to own a commission or some original art by a famous artist whose work I really like I get a bigger high from getting a really nice piece from an artist that was previously unknown to me and possibly most of the other people at the show.

Day 2
I had to get more cash. I was running low and knew I had a couple commissions for which I had yet to pay the artists. I ended up spending more than I wanted to, once again, but I am very pleased with all my purchases.

Day 3
I decided not to stay for the third day. I'm sure it would have been fun but I had already spent more than I planned on spending.

Overall
Next year I will be more prepared. I took business cards from several artists whose work I liked and whose commission rates seemed reasonable but from whom I didn't have the time or money to get a sketch. I will be checking out their stuff online and pre-ordering if possible, from them next year.

It was great meeting people from message boards and podcasts. Their reactions ranged from sarcastic to polite to excited when I introduced myself. I might have seemed a little too eager to meet some of them.

It took me the better part of a day, 7.5 hours, to drive each way. A couple of choke points on either end and one in the middle of both drives slowed things down a little bit. Aside from the choke points I was able to make very good time. Now that I look back on the whole weekend I don't regret making the long drive. I wish Heroes Con was closer to home but it was well worth my time and money.

No comments: