Sunday, October 17, 2010

What I Read - Sleeper: Season Two #10

#10 Good Offenses - This chapter was much more plot heavy than most in this series. Usually things happen with out much in the way of clear connection to the overarching story. This time around I can see the plot getting moved forward by more than just inches

Not only has Miss Misery betrayed Cole to Tao but he knows it too. I wonder if this isn't a bit of misdirection on Brubaker's part. Could it be part of a scheme that Cole and Misery planned out in advance? It doesn't feel like it but there may be some twist that I just can't forsee.

I am nonplussed by how Cole's relationship with Lynch seems to have improved. As with Miss Misery's betrayal I am hoping that there is more to this development than what I am seeing. I can't think of anything more boring than the story ending with Cole coming in from the cold and back to the fold. I want to believe that Brubaker has a more interesting and/or twisted end in mind than that.

The artwork is cartoony but not knocking my socks off. I may have commented on this before but it feels as if there is a lack of consistency in Philips work, from chapter to chapter. Even the way he draws characters like Cole and Misery seems to shift. There could be a method, a story-related reason behind the shifts in style but I can't see it.

Sleeper: Season Two by Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips

No comments: