Saturday, September 25, 2010

What I Read - Sleeper: Season Two #7

#7 Pawns and Kings - This chapter was a fast read and for the most part self-contained. Once again I feel as if Brubaker is messing with my head. He is leading me down a corridor without allowing me to verify what floor I'm on or even check a compass to verify which direction I'm headed in. Sure, I could take what I read at face value but based on past experience I'm certain that there are mechanisms at work below the surface which will only see the light of day in future chapters.

Philips art continues to be more cartoony, which for my money works better than what he produced for earlier chapters. The colors seem muddy which goes with the mood but also seems to lessen the impact of the lines as they are blurred by the homogeneous color palette.

Before I read this chapter I thought about the title of this series. Is Carver still a sleeper? Tao knows who and what he is, even if he isn't aware of everything going through his head. Carver is no longer a sleeper within Tao's organization? Is he now a sleeper within IO? Doubtful; he isn't really a part of IO anymore and is only tangentially connected to it, through Lynch. Is there another sleeper? Miss Misery? Peter Grimm? Those are the only logical possibilities, although this idea may just my imagination at work trying to find something where there is nothing. Does the title still contain a meaning which has yet to be revealed? That's the real question.

Sleeper: Season Two by Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips

No comments: