Thursday, September 16, 2010

What I Read - Sleeper: Season Two #6

#6 Four Sided Triangle - I'm still trying to analyze the art. What is it about the art that works and doesn't work? For me?

I sense that the story is starting to go in a direction that will ultimately make it more appealing to me. Based on my memories of Season One I think it is safe to say that Brubaker wraps the twists and turns that this story takes so tightly that it is hard to appreciate them until you look back at them after the fact. That's my way of saying that Season One didn't go to the places that I expected it to go and that Season Two seems to be headed in the same direction.

Carver is quite the narrator/protagonist: he's caught between two men, two sides who want his loyalty but also know that he's working for the other one. So who's side is he on? Neither one seems to expect his complete loyalty which makes the story that much more twisted. They both know he has compromised his beliefs and done things he once would never have done. The worst part is that he doesn't have a side, he's like a ping pong ball batted back and forth between Tao and Lynch. In this issue he seems to be starting to make a move to regain his sanity and find some solid ground. But that may just be a head fake. Either he may not be revealing all that's going through Carver's head or circumstances may force Carver to change his plans.

Sleeper: Season Two by Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips

No comments: