Thursday, August 12, 2010

What I Read - Sleeper: Season Two #1

#1: The Messenger - I dunno how long of a creative break there was between the two seasons of this story but there seems to be a subtle lack of consistency in the artwork. I haven't reread it recently but I remember Philips artwork as more cartoony in season one. It took me a while to get used to his style, which is a little odd since I tend to like more cartoony artwork, but toward the end I was really diggin' it. Now it seems as if he has gone and switched things up and seems to be trying a more realistic approach.

Storywise I think it is kind of tough to judge Season Two just yet. This is the opening chapter of a twelve part story, or part thirteen of a twenty-four parter. It took me a while to get a feel for Brubaker and Philips mode of storytelling in Season One. It kept me guessing right up until the very end. I can definitely see them setting things up but given that I don't know what is coming I'm not sure what to say about the story and characters just yet.

Sleeper: Season Two by Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips

No comments: