Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Super Wild Pig Show 2012 - Part 1

Super Wild Pig Show
Embassy Suites
Piscataway, NJ
May 5-6, 2012

Part 1: Show Report

This was my first time going to a Wild Pig Sale. For the most part I did two things at the sale: I picked up commissions and I restocked my Regina pile. The comic book selection, as expected, was a bit hit or miss. I found a few things I was looking for but not everything. I'm glad I got there early because by mid-afternoon on Saturday the boxes had been thoroughly trimmed back.

Unfortunately not all the boxes were alphabetically organized. I spent a good deal of time digging through unorganized boxes without much luck. I bought a few things from those boxes but nothing that comes to mind immediately.

I chatted briefly with most of the artists that I bought commissions from. The only book I bought from a creator was the latest issue of Dutchy Digest. I spent probably close to an hour chatting with Bruce Rosenberger, one of the Dutchy Digest creators, about old cartoons and voice actors.

If I had it to do over again I think I would have left early Sunday morning to go orienteering. Saturday was great but Sunday was a bit of a drag. I didn't feel like spending anymore money on comics or art. Basically I had breakfast and then waited around for the first raffle of the day. Once the raffle was over I left and drove home.

I hate making comparisons but on the whole I didn't enjoy this show as much as I did the past couple CGS Super Shows. The missing elements were the crowds and the panels. For some reason those mean a lot to me, probably because they provide entertainment at no additional cost and satisfy my voyeuristic tendencies.

No comments: