Thursday, March 24, 2011

House of Mystery v3: #14

The Space Between Part Three: Lost and Found by Matthew Sturges (writer), Luca Rossi (pencils), José Marzán (inks), and Lee Loughridge (colors) - I love how the story continues to evolve. What looked like a throw away sequence from the first arc that was included just to help set the tone is turning out to be much more than just that. How it will intersect with the story of Fig and company has yet to be revealed.

I'm also intrigued by what Peter, Fig's father, tells Harry. It makes sense. It could be true but is it? Things have a tendency to get very twisted in the House of Mystery. While Peter's explanation seems plausible given the nature of the story, considering his role and his feelings toward Fig and Harry it's also possible that he may be lying or deluded.

The influence or impact of José Marzán's inks on Luca Rossi's pencils is apparent in this issue, primarily on the faces. I'm a little torn as to whether this is a good thing or not. I liked the book without Marzán's inks, when Rossi penciled and inked the book solo. I'm not turned off by Marzán's inks. It will take me some time to get used to them.

Maidenhead by Matthew Sturges (writer), Gilbert Hernandez (artist), and Lee Loughridge (colors) - Best side story ever. No lie. For the first time I was sad at the end of the side story. I wasn't sad because of the content of the story, but because there wasn't anything more to it.

Gilbert Hernandez has done a masterful job mixing myths from two very different sources: tales of werewolves and tales of adolescent women in Middle Eastern countries like Iran and Iraq. I was entralled by the story and really wish there was more to it. I've never read any of the stories written and drawn by any of the Hernandez brothers, prior to today. The power this story exerted over me has convinced me that I need to seek out some of his other works.

House of Mystery is published by Vertigo, an imprint of DC Comics

No comments: