Sunday, July 19, 2009

Nostalgia - Comic Book Subscriptions

I should start calling this blog 'Inspired by Podcasts', because that's where I seem to get most of my ideas. This post was inspired by the very first episode of Bullpen Bulletins; I started listening to it earlier this evening.

When I was 9 or 10, or possibly a little older, my mother bought subscriptions for my brother and I to a couple comic books. There were four subscriptions in all. I believe two were my and two were my brother's. I don't think we had all four at the same time. I think we had two and then when those ran out we got another two.

One of my picks was Captain America. The issues I received were # 265 - 276. Not all great issues. Some better than others. My subscription began with a two-parter that guest-starred Spider-Man and Nick Fury. After that it sorta went downhill after that until Nick Fury returned, this time with the Howling Commandos. Together Cap and Fury battled Baron Stucker and Hydra, although if I remember correctly Baron Strucker turned out to be a robot. The real Baron Stucker had been killed years before.

In between the two appearances by Nick Fury were some unmemorable tales that included fighting lame villains like Everyman and Mr. X, and fighting alongside new creations like Team America and old ones like The Defenders.

That's it for now. I'll try to remember to write about the other three subscriptions in the near future.

No comments: