Saturday, May 4, 2013

Free Comic Book Day - May 4, 2013

I went to two stores today. Both had sales, one had big name comic book creators. Guess which one was mobbed and had a block-long line just to get in the store? Guess which one I didn't get in to?

Store #1: Third Eye Comics (Annapolis, MD) - I had heard of but never been to this store before today. The line to get in the place was incredibly long and was barely moving. As I was walking past the front door towards the end of the line I saw that they were closely regulating how many people they would allow in the store at a time. I waited for five minutes at the end of the line before deciding I would rather be at a less crowded store.

Store #2: Barbarian Comics (Wheaton, MD) - The atmosphere was considerably more subdued at this store. There were no comic book artists or writers to meet and there was no line to get in the store. It was a little busier than usual but for the most part I had no difficulty moving around the store. I can only imagine what it must have been like inside Third Eye Comics.

My Dalek t-shirt sparked Doctor Who talk with the owners. We basically agreed to disagree as to who was the best Doctor from the new series. I prefer David Tennant and don't care for the Matt Smith era. I characterize it that way because the person on the show who really brings the show down is Amy Pond.


I wanted to buy Scalped Vol. 6. They didn't have it in stock so I asked them to order it for me. I looked around for a long time before I found something else on my short list of books to read: The Spirit Vol. 2 by Darwyn Cooke. All trades were 20% off. I considered also buying Powers Vol. 14: Gods, but decided one book was enough.


No comments: