Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What I Read - Jul 12, 2010

1. Mister X v2 by Dean Motter and Seth - I love this comic. I am also confused by it. Maybe confused isn't the right word. Mostly it is the art that grabs me and throws me for a loop. The overall look of the city reminds of mid-20th century travel and propaganda posters. The faces remind me of faces drawn by Hergé in Tintin. The colors are like nothing I've seen recently in a comic book; so dazzling and varied. This book is a real treat for me but probably won't satisfy everyone.

2. Persepolis v1 by Marjane Satrapi - Now that I'm reading it I'm truly disappointed that I waited so long before giving it a try. The artwork is deceptively simple but extremely effective. Satrapi is a masterful storyteller and does a great job mixing in serious and funny moments in the process of recounting her life story. Recommended reading for everyone.

3. Blazing Combat - Printed in beautiful black and white (as was the original) this is a collection of the short-lived series of the same name published by Warren in the mid-1960s. There were no ongoing stories; this is an anthology; most of the stories are 6-8 pages long. A variety of settings are used with most of the stories taking place sometime during the 20th century. Very few of the stories strike me as flag-waving propaganda. Must read for anyone who enjoys old war comics such as Sgt Rock or the ' Nam.

No comments: