Friday, March 5, 2010

What I Read - Mar 6, 2010

Oishinbo: Ramen & Gyoza - I was hoping for more than what this book has to offer. The recipes sound tasty and have me wanting to try my hand at making ramen but the stories are fairly bland. The artwork gets the job done but it too is not impressive. I suppose that some people might like these kinds of stories but I'm not one of them.

Sleeper: Season One - This is a good collection. I'm starting to gain an appreciation for Sean Phillips artwork. I'm not there completely, but I'm gettin' there. The story is great; everytime I think it is going to zig it zags. Just two chapters to go. I think I know how it is going to end but I've been fooled before.

One thing that I do like about how the story is told is the use of flashbacks. I especially like how the origin stories have been mixed in.

One more thing, and this is of course without knowing whether this character survives or not, I'm entranced by the complexity of Miss Misery. What would love do to her? How does she deal with that? How would anyone deal with that sort of condition? Of course, then there's Holden, whose hands are just dripping with blood at this point. Sure, he's cut a couple people some slack but still. How could he return to a semi-normal life after all that he has done and said. It just doesn't seem possible. I'm very eager to see where it all winds up and where Season Two picks up.

No comments: