Saturday, September 12, 2009

What I Bought - September 12, 2009

I just made a list. I think I've got too many comic books that I have yet to read; and I went to Barbarian and the Wheaton Library Book Sale this afternoon. I kinda of splurged at Barbarian where I bought...
  • Sleeper: Season 1 - Written by Ed Brubaker and drawn by Sean Phillips. Collects the entire first series (12 issues). I've heard so much good stuff about this series. I'm enjoying Brubaker's run on Daredevil and I've heard that this is better.
  • The Spectre v1 - Written by John Ostrander and drawn by Tom Mandrake. Collects # 1 - 4 of the series which dates back to the early to mid-90s. I loved this creative team's work on Firestorm in the late-80s. Once again, I've heard good things about this series which ran for over 60 issues. The book was a little beat up so they gave me 35% off the cover price of $9.95.
  • Six From Sirius - Written by Doug Moench and drawn/painted by Paul Gulacy. This isn't new. It was originally a mini-series published through Marvel's Epic line in the early 1980s. Never read it before but it looked interesting and they were selling it for cover price $8.95.
  • Bleach v25 - Written and drawn by Kubo Tite. So far I'm not wild about the current story arc but I still bought the next book in the series. I may put down this series for a while after finishing this volume. Its probably about time I took a break from it. Maybe I'll give Naruto a try instead
  • 20th Century Boys v4 - Written and drawn by Naoki Urasawa. I have yet to read v3 but the first two volumes were really good. The stage is still being set. I'm eager to see how things unfold.
I also asked them to order a few books for me...
  • Daredevil: Lady Bullseye - written by Ed Brubaker and Greg
  • Ooko v1
  • Ikigami v1
I wrote about Ooku and Ikigami a few weeks ago.

...

Since I was in the neighborhood I decided to drop by the Wheaton Library Book Sale. The only thing I found of interest was an old copy of Jules Feiffer's The Great Comic Book Heroes. Originally published in 1965, it reprints a bunch of golden age comic book stories, along with a longish introduction by Feiffer. They were only asking $2.00 for this beatup, hard-bound collection and I couldn't resist it at that price. The reprints aren't the best quality but I'm not too picky when I feel as I have found a steal.

Links: Sleeper - Spectre - Bleach - 20th Century Boys

No comments: