Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Comic Book Notes (LJ) May 2005

05/03/05

Today, I received the 3 volumes of Battle Royale that I bought from another LJ user. The package was severely beaten up but the contents were for the most part in decent shape.

05/08/05

While looking for a place to eat in Wheaton I noticed Barbarian Comics (formerly known as Barbarian Bookstore). I thought they had gone out of business. So I went in after lunch, browsed for twenty minutes and ended up picking up the TokyoPop Free Comic Book Day sampler and a back issue of Alter Ego. I found out that the store has been around for 38 years, since 1968. I first went there in 1979. It has changed quite a bit over the years. They are in their 3rd location, all in the same little shopping area. Now it is just a comic book store, although they do have a nice little selection of manga.

05/12/05

Blood of the Demon # 1 - I liked this issue more than I thought I would. I ordered it in part because Jason Blood and the Demon are unusual characters. Having lived for centuries Blood has an interesting collection of weapons and he uses a sampling of them in this issue. Very cool. Reminded me of Hawkman in that way. I also bought the book because is written and drawn by John Byrne. He's had his misfires in the comic book world and from what I've read also on comic book related message boards. I started collecting comic books when he (and Chris Claremont) were hitting it big during his original run on X-Men, which I loved. I have been a fan (of one stripe or another) ever since. That said, I liked the issue. Will I like the series? I dunno and I haven't ordered or bought any more issues.

Justice League Elite # 9 - Hard to believe this series is winding down. For the most part, I've really enjoyed it. I did think the previous issue was a little flat, but this one more than made up for it. I'll admit it's not the easiest book in the world to read. That's probably due in large part to the manner in which Joe Kelly has plotted the series. The focus is constantly shifting. Its rare to see one character featured for more than a page or two. I also like how the alliances (and romantic entanglements) seem to be constantly shifting as the members of the team try to figure out which of them killed the President of Chang-sa.

Exiles Book 8 - This trade paperback collects the first six issues written by Tony Bedard. It's a crazy sort of series in which castaways from the X-Men jump from one universe to another at the behest of some powerful alien. It reminds me of both Negation, the book that Bedard wrote for the now defunct CrossGen, and the sci-fi TV series Sliders. In the first three issues the mutant team dukes out with the Fantastic Four and the Sub-Mariner. I'm not wild about the artwork but I like the writing, especially the humor. If I enjoy the rest of the book as much as I enjoyed the first three issues I'll probably end up getting the next collection, which is already out.

I've spent a little bit of time at work in the file room, the last couple days. The smell of paper reminds me of a comic book store. Mmmmmmm....

05/26/05

If your looking for something humorous to read I recommend trying either GLA or Action Philosophers. Both have me cracking up. GLA, which stands for Great Lakes Avengers, is created by the same team that did the last few issues of She-Hulk. Great stuff. Action Philosophers (published by Evil Twin Comics) retells the life story of three philosophers, Plato (Wresling Superstar of Ancient Greece), Bodhidharma (Master of Kung-Fu), and Nietzsche (the Übermensch) in very funny ways. Its supposed to be all true, but I've got my doubts.

05/26/05

I just got an e-mail this morning that there is going to be another comic convention here in DC. Its this Sunday. Not much notice, but I don't have any big plans, so I'm going. Rich Buckler, the original penciler for All-Star Squadron is going to be there. Maybe I'll try and get a piece of original art work from him. I always liked the way he drew the Golden Age superheroes, especially Hawkman. I don't know how much he charges. Unfortuntely there won't be much there other than dealers and a few artists. There isn't a whole lot that I'm interested in getting, but last time I was there I got a bunch of back issues at really cheap prices. Its always fun to browse.

05/29/05

I went to the DC Comicon today. It was much busier than the last one, in January. I only spent $2 on comic books. There just wasn't much that looked appealing. I prefer not to spend just to spend. I did find a copy of a graphic novel that I've been looking for a while now. It was half off cover price, but it was also kind of beat up. I decided not to get it.


No comments: